Thursday, March 31, 2011

The picture I never took

There is one scene that I witness almost every day that I have yet to take a picture of. The tram stop right near my house has a gas station next to it and almost every morning I witness the same series of events. Behind the gas station their is a round red table, with red chairs circling it, and it is usually always vacant. But some mornings their is at least nine very elderly men sitting around the table playing some sort of board or card game. When they are their, the table is full, and their is always two or three men standing around the table watching (or waiting for the next game). They are drinking something, I don't know what, but they all have glass cups or mugs. I witness this from across the street and have yet to walk over to sneak a peak of what they are actually doing. Every day the lighting is different, the wind blowing the trees vary, but it is always the same men. I never have my camera, but if I did I still don't know if I would walk over their to snap a photo. I do not want to disturb anything. My ideal photo shoot would be close up shots of the mens faces, capturing their smiles while they tell jokes, or their more serious faces while deciding on the next move. I would not use a flash. I would also try to take photos from all different perspectives. Directly in front, from below, up high, some maybe as if i were sitting at the table with them. That is the photo that I have yet to take, and may never take.

I would use a telephoto lens to accomplish this. My settings would have a Max aperture  with telephoto lense so that everything except the main subject is blurry. Since the men are sitting in a circular table, I would like to take close up photos of say, one man, but have the man sitting next to him be blurry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment